Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 10:11:26 -0800 (PST)
From:      <keith@mail.telestream.com>
To:        Walter Brameld <brameld@twave.net>
Cc:        dbhost@brokersys.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What are the differences?

Well, I've recently switched from being a strictly linux user to a
strictly FreeBSD user for all of our operations here as well as my
personal workstations. Here are the reasons why.

#1 Linux is becoming diluted. You can't install anything without grabing
some obscure lib.

#2 Linux can't just do a makeworld after a cvsup and rebuild to the most
recent version of essentialy everything important.

#3 Truth be told, linux is not half as stable as FreeBSD.

#4 I don't like the fact that Linux<redhat> is attempting to be the next
MS. Now that RedHat has gone public, they have people to answer to and
margins to aspire to just like MS. This causes things to be rushed to
market to soon and a degredation of code. Or should I just say sloppier
code.

#5 FreeBSD may be slower in coming out with options and features but at
least when they do they are essentialy sound and stable.=20

#6 You never realy notice how increadibly slow Linux is until you get into
FreeBSD. I was astounded at the difference. Just in running Windowmaker
between the two OS's on identical machines will show big differences.

#7 One word   "ports"   how freakin kewl an idea is that.. I love it. That
alone is a reason to use FreeBSD. Makes RPM's look like old school slop.

And so I create my .sig file. :)=20

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
I hearby change the name
of RedHat to RedSplat.