Date:      Sun, 13 Nov 2022 09:53:00 -0800
From:      Steve Rikli <sr@genyosha.net>
To:        louis.freebsd@xs4all.nl
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: DESPARATE: How to stop FreeBSD form sleeping / disable ACPI? (on FreeBSD14 CURRENT)

On Sun, Nov 13, 2022 at 04:47:40PM +0100, louis.freebsd@xs4all.nl wrote:
> I noticed that after disabling gdm in /etc/rc.conf ^"gdm_enable="N"^ the system stays active.
> However ..... that is also the end the GUI .... in this case GNOME.
>
> Since I could not work which a machine hibernating every ^10 minutes^, I have disabled gdm for the moment.
> That does not take away that that is ...... ridiculous !!

Seems like you aren't alone in that opinion -- there are several threads
for multiple OSes about this same topic. Kirk's findings below match my
recollection -- this is Gnome default behavior nowdays.

In any case, since we obviously can't use the Linux systemD settings to
control the behavior in FreeBSD, a few folks mentioned other workarounds
with things like dconf; e.g. this suggestion which came originally from
the Arch linux folks:

https://twitter.com/_neelc/status/1487200568149831681

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/GDM#GDM_auto-suspend_(GNOME_3.28)

Something like:

  sudo -u gdm dbus-launch gsettings set \
  org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power sleep-inactive-ac-type 'nothing'

>From the threads, it sounds like part of the problem is this behavior and
settings are per-user, so making a system-wide change is hard. Not sure
how this workaround will play in your situation.

My FreeBSD servers don't run a gui display manager; my Debian laptop
runs gdm3 display manager but I switched to Xfce for the window manager
around the time Gnome3 came out (too many changes for my taste).  Fwiw
the Xfce Power Manager has controls for system power save / sleep mode
for "On battery" and "Plugged in", including "never".

Cheers,
sr.