Date:      Fri, 16 Nov 2001 18:10:26 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
Cc:        ru@FreeBSD.org, audit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sbin/natd natd.8 natd.c

In message <71658.1005930195@axl.seasidesoftware.co.za>, Sheldon Hearn writes:

>> >Yuk.  Wouldn't a better idea simply to make the whining more useful,
>> >with something like this?
>>
>> You are not proposing a log message per packet that people cannot
>> turn off are you ?
>
>I don't think that's what the patch does.  I'm pretty sure it simply
>enhances the previously ineffective message, leaving the conditions for
>printing alone.

Well, the condition for printing was "once per packet" which is why
people have objected to this in the first place.

>Personally, I'd like to see your new option inverted so that the default
>is still to log these problems, but allow you to turn them off if you
>like.  And I'd like the suggested change to the actual content of the
>log message.

The compromise Ruslan and I ended up with when we discussed this in Brighton
was that the print would be disabled unless enabled specifically and that
the verbose option should also enable it, and that yes, adding useful
info to it makes sense.