Date:      Fri, 12 May 2000 14:49:44 -0400
From:      "Steffen Vorrix" <steffen@ntr.net>
To:        <freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Reverse DNS problem

------=_NextPart_000_0013_01BFBC21.4F589010

This may not be the place to post this question, but I originally posted =
on freebsd-questions and didn't get any response.=20

I have a problem that I believe is related to IPFW and reverse DNS, but =
I am not completely sure.  I am having trouble connecting to an ftp =
server from my corporate office with any client you choose, from CuteFTP =
9X/NT machines to console ftp from FreeBSD boxes, INCLUDING the firewall =
console.  Both locations are protected by FreeBSD firewalls.  At the =
server end, I actually have TWO FTP servers running that I am connecting =
to that are running Microsoft FTP under IIS.  (I know, believe me, that =
these are the worst ever FTP daemons)  One of the servers has a reverse =
DNS entry, and the other doesn't.  The one WITH the reverse DNS entry =
works just fine.  I can log in and send/recieve files just fine from any =
client at the corporate office, inluding the firewall console.  On the =
server WITHOUT the reverse DNS entry, I can log in, but I cannot =
transfer anything at all, in either active or passive mode.  It tells me =
that it is opening the port, then it just appears to stop responding.  =
However, anybody else from the outside world can connect just fine.  My =
thought is that the firewall on the corporate end of things is blocking =
the traffic comming from the server without a reverse DNS.  I know these =
Checkpoint by ISS and Raptor by Eagle can do this, as I have worked with =
both of those.  (They are bloody expensive, too, which is why my boss =
put in FreeBSD.)

Here is what I have done so far to try and test my theory:

I setup another FreeBSD computer connected directly to the router at the =
corporate office.  When I am using this new FreeBSD box under the =
generic kernel with all apporpriate firewall rules commented out from =
rc.conf, everything works fine, and I can send and receive files to each =
of the Microsoft FTP servers.  However, as soon as I boot with the =
firewall kernel from this new FreeBSD box with the appropriate lines =
turned on in rc.conf and rc.firewall, the server with the reverse DNS =
entry works fine, but the server without the reverse DNS entry will not =
do any transfers, etc.  I was think that perhaps there was a flag, =
similiar in nature to the DENY RFC 931 in the hosts.allow that would =
filter out anyone without a reverse DNS entry.

Oh, and the firewall rules on the new BSD box are the same as on the =
current firewall.  Those rules are (from ipfw list):

100 divert 8668 ip from any to any via dc0
105 allow ip from any to any

Is there such a flag, or do I have something else going on?  Since the =
servers are under my control, I am sure that I can have the ISP add a =
reverse DNS entry, but what happens when I find someone without a =
reverse DNS entry that I need to connect to?=20

Oh, and I added each of the server entries into the /etc/hosts file in =
an effort to fix the problem, but that had no impact.  Any help/insight =
would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks so much in advance...
Chris Schremser
ZirMed.com
steffen@ntr.net
chriss@zirmed.com

------=_NextPart_000_0013_01BFBC21.4F589010

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>This may not be the place to post this =
question,=20
but I originally posted on freebsd-questions and didn't get any =
response.=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have a problem that I believe is =
related to IPFW=20
and reverse DNS, but I am not completely sure.&nbsp; I am having trouble =

connecting to an ftp server from my corporate office with any client you =
choose,=20
from CuteFTP 9X/NT machines to console ftp from FreeBSD =
boxes,&nbsp;INCLUDING=20
the firewall console.&nbsp; Both locations are protected by FreeBSD=20
firewalls.&nbsp; At the server end, I actually have TWO&nbsp;FTP servers =

running&nbsp;</FONT><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>that I am connecting to=20
that&nbsp;are running Microsoft FTP&nbsp;under IIS.&nbsp; (I know, =
believe me,=20
that these are the worst ever FTP daemons)&nbsp; One of the servers has =
a=20
reverse DNS entry, and the other doesn't.&nbsp; The one WITH the reverse =
DNS=20
entry works just fine.&nbsp; I can log in and send/recieve files just =
fine from=20
any client at the corporate office, inluding the firewall console.&nbsp; =
On the=20
server WITHOUT the reverse DNS entry, I can log in, but I cannot =
transfer=20
anything at all, in either active or passive mode.&nbsp; It tells me =
that it is=20
opening the port, then it just appears to stop responding.&nbsp; =
However,=20
anybody else from the outside world can connect just fine.&nbsp; My =
thought is=20
that the firewall on the corporate end of things is blocking the traffic =
comming=20
from the server without a reverse DNS.&nbsp; I know =
these&nbsp;Checkpoint by ISS=20
and Raptor by Eagle can do this, as I have worked with both of =
those.&nbsp;=20
(They are bloody expensive, too, which is why my boss put in=20
FreeBSD.)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Here is what I have done so far to try =
and test my=20
theory</FONT><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I setup another FreeBSD computer =
connected directly=20
to the router at the corporate office.&nbsp; W</FONT><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>hen=20
I am using this new FreeBSD box under the generic kernel with all =
apporpriate=20
firewall rules commented out from rc.conf, everything works fine, and I =
can send=20
and receive files to each of the Microsoft FTP servers.&nbsp; However, =
as soon=20
as I boot with the firewall kernel from this new FreeBSD box with the=20
appropriate lines turned on in rc.conf and rc.firewall, the server with =
the=20
reverse DNS entry works fine, but the server without the reverse DNS =
entry will=20
not do any transfers, etc.&nbsp; I was think that perhaps there was a =
flag,=20
similiar in nature to the DENY RFC 931 in the hosts.allow that would =
filter out=20
anyone without a reverse DNS entry.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Oh, and the firewall rules on the new =
BSD box are=20
the same as on the current firewall.&nbsp; Those rules are (from ipfw=20
list):</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>100 divert 8668 ip from any to any via=20
dc0</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>105 allow ip from any to =
any</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Is there such a flag, or do I have =
something else=20
going on?&nbsp; Since the servers are under my control, I am sure that I =
can=20
have the ISP add a reverse DNS entry, but what happens when I find =
someone=20
without a reverse DNS entry that I need to connect =
to?&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Oh, and I added each of the server =
entries into the=20
/etc/hosts file in an effort to fix the problem, but that had no =
impact.&nbsp;=20
Any help/insight would be GREATLY appreciated.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks so much in =
advance...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Chris Schremser</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>ZirMed.com</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"mailto:steffen@ntr.net">steffen@ntr.net</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"mailto:chriss@zirmed.com">chriss@zirmed.com</A></FONT></DIV>