Date:      Fri, 1 Nov 2002 14:16:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Michael Richards" <michael@fastmail.ca>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   sysinstall alpha problems...

--------------Boundary-00=_R7WWAEEZ5BZNTT4D7TH0

I updated to 5.0-current using the "." tag because I wanted SMP
support for our development AlphaServer 1200 that was otherwise
gathering dust.

I added some new disks and wanted to do a sysinstall to label and
newfs them. So running /usr/sbin/sysinstall built from the sources of
today sysinstall simply core dumps on the device probe section. I
tried adding a -g to cflags in its makefile but couldn't coax gdb
into spitting out anything more useful.

Here is what I get:
Probing devices, please wait (this can take a while)...Segmentation
fault (core dumped)

Based on the fact it seems to be dying inside a call to strtoul I'm
guessing its integer size related so it probably won't show on ix86.
If someone can direct me further I can do more to help in debugging
this...

alpha# gdb /usr/sbin/sysinstall -c sysinstall.core
GNU gdb 5.2.1 (FreeBSD)
GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and
you are
conditions.
details.
This GDB was configured as "alpha-undermydesk-freebsd"...(no
debugging symbols found)...
Core was generated by `sysinstall'.
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libdialog.so.4...(no debugging symbols
found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/libdialog.so.4
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libncurses.so.5...(no debugging symbols
found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/libncurses.so.5
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libutil.so.3...(no debugging symbols
found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/libutil.so.3
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libftpio.so.5...(no debugging symbols
found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/libftpio.so.5
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libc.so.5...(no debugging symbols
found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/libc.so.5
Reading symbols from /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1...(no debugging symbols
found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1
#0  0x160242644 in strtoul () from /usr/lib/libc.so.5
(gdb) bt
#0  0x160242644 in strtoul () from /usr/lib/libc.so.5
(gdb)

Here is a little system info:
FreeBSD alpha.interchange.ca 5.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #0: Thu
Oct 31 01:54:22 EST 2002
root@alpha.interchange.ca:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/BOATANCHOR  alpha

alpha# gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
Configured with: FreeBSD/alpha system compiler
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.2.1 [FreeBSD] 20021009 (prerelease)

This system was installed as a 4.7-alpha and then upgraded via a
cvsup and makeworld/installworld.

-Michael