Date:      Wed, 05 Feb 1997 19:25:07 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        obrien@NUXI.com (David O'Brien)
Cc:        chuckr@glue.umd.edu (Chuck Robey), freebsd-ports@freebsd.org (FreeBSD ports list), hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: conditionally including <sys/param.h>

In message <19970205112604.AI13761@dragon.nuxi.com> David O'Brien writes:
: Thing.  Since both NetBSD and OpenBSD pretty much use our ports (and I
: think they like not having to throw resources on them), it would be in
: their best interests for the return they get.

Ummm, there is some effort in doing that for things that need to
change on FreeBSD, since they likely need to change for OpenBSD and
NetBSD as well.

: using these macros.  They seem to be the only true way of dealing with
: this.  If anyone knows who wrote those words, I'd love to start a dialog
: with them.

I strongly disagree with this.  I think that the BSD macro method
works well enough, and with the slight tweaks that we've talked about
here it works almost perfectly.  It is close enough to perfect that
most software authors will take the changes back into their source
trees and things will be solved for all the BSDs, not just Free,Open
and Net (oh, and BSDi too).

Warner