Date:      Tue, 28 Aug 2012 18:27:26 -0500
From:      "Jerry Dunham" <jdunham@texas.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        "Robin, Michael" <robin@chapman.edu>
Subject:   Re: text editor

On 28 Aug 2012 at 22:41, Robin, Michael wrote:

> What is VIM?  Where could it be downloaded?
> What is CLI?  I am looking for GUI/command prompt text editor for Windows 7/8.
> The notepad plus program lacks start/end block setting option even
> though it have a lot of hot keys.  My top priority is setting
> start/end block option which was available for old DOS-based text
> editor, but I have not seen any window-based text editor for this
> option.  16-bit DOS text editor program will not run on 64-bit
> operating system.

"CLI" is "command line interface", what you're calling a command prompt.

I came late to Windows, having run FreeBSD exclusively for quite a few years before trying
out the Dark Side.  As a result, my text editor of choice on Windows is gvim.  I'm currently
running 7.2, and it integrates with the right-click context menu.  I believe it has all the
functions you need.  If you've never used anything in the vi family there's a steep initial
learning curve, but once you get past that it should do the job well enough to satisfy all but
the most dedicated emacs users.

Check out:

http://www.vim.org/

I hope this helps.