Date:      Sun, 10 Dec 2000 16:24:49 -0800
From:      Ben Lovett <blovett@bsdguru.com>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ricochet 128K

I am indeed talking about the PCCard modems that have not been released
yet .. I am going to be beta testing one of them for Metricom, and thus
I will have access to one.  I would gladly send in any information I had
on them if not for this stinking non-disclosure agreement I had to
sign..

I am sort of thinking that disclosing if the modem would require special
drivers or will just run under the normal modem drivers would be within
my rights after signing this, but I'm not really sure ;)

TTYL

Brad Karp (bkarp@icsi.berkeley.edu) wrote:
> The *existing* GS radios are external boxes with a dual USB/serial port
> for host connectivity.
>
> I believe Ben is talking about the *new*, as-yet-unreleased PC-Card Ricochet
> radios. Sierra Wireless and Novatel Wireless have announced they will ship
> these in 1Q01, if I recall correctly.
>
> Moreover, the external Ricochet 128K radios work reasonably well with USB,
> after some patches I submitted for umodem.c's former abuse of the tty layer
> buffering model.
>
> Alas, I don't know how the new PC-Card radios will appear (as plain-jane
> modems or devices requiring a custom driver).
>
> -Brad, bkarp@icsi.berkeley.edu

+ Ben Lovett     [ blovett at bsdguru.com ] +
+      Choose your poisen:                  +
+            FreeBSD (The Power to Serve)   +
+            OpenBSD (Secure by default)    +
+            Anything else (Good luck ;)    +