Date:      Thu, 15 Aug 1996 05:12:50 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
Cc:        Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw vs ipfilter?

[redirected to -chat]

> Didn't all real hackers start out by programming TRS-80's and Apple IIe's
> back in '78/'79?  I've still got some of my Applesoft and 6502 programs.
> I just don't have a computer to run them on.

Yeah, that is indeed how a lot started out.  I started in timesharing
on the HP2000 access system - all you had was a BASIC interpreter :-)

Later, when my friend Bruce purchased what was, if I remember
correctly, one of the first 50 Apple II's to come out of Apple
(complete with tempermental switching power supply :), I started
banging away on that as well.  Ultimately, the pain of cassette tape
loads and the high cost of Applesoft ROM cards (which you were only
too cool if you had one of) led me back to the HP and its far faster
hard disk - a HP 2888, 50Mb of raw pack-pounding power :-)

Perhaps if the Apple had been just a little more powerful, and its
peripherals less expensive, I'd be a Mac programmer now instead of a
timesharing operating system junkie.  A sobering thought indeed.

					Jordan

[Bruce, on the other hand, went on to become positively enamored of
the machine and eventually wound up working for Apple, poor guy. :) ]