Date:      Thu, 5 Apr 2012 07:13:06 -0400
From:      Tom Limoncelli <tal@whatexit.org>
To:        William Palfreman <william@palfreman.com>
Cc:        Jorge Biquez <jbiquez@intranet.com.mx>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Off Topic.Advice please. Domain selling.

I get emails list this all the time.  Most of the time it turns out
they are a scam or they don't actually have a buyer but want me to buy
their service where they seek buyers for me.  Either way, I'm not
interested.

I always reply:  "I only consider serious offers and serious offers
are more than $10,000".  That always gets rid of the
scammers/spammers.

Here's why:

Websites that do "valuations" of domains tell me my domains are all
worth about $100-$200 for the .orgs and $200-$300 for the .coms.
Changing my domain would cause me about $x,000 pain for y months (x
and y are secret).  When a company wants a domain and is serious the
absolute minimum they offer is $10,000 (and the max I've seen is
$100,000 (verified) or $1,000,000 (unverified)).

I don't want to scare away a real offer  but I also want to get rid of
the spammers and scammers.

Tom