Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 2000 15:12:20 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely5.cicely.de>
Cc:        Marius Bendiksen <mbendiks@eunet.no>, freeBSD-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: disable write caching with softupdates?

> > > Not necessarily.
> >
> > Er, you're being both contrary and plain wrong.  It's a fundamental
> > assumption of the softupdates implementation that it is possible to issue
> > an ordered write and have it complete in an ordered fashion.
>
> Now I'm very confused ;(
>
> That's what Matthew Dillon wrote on -current in May:
>
> :    Wait a sec... softupdates does not depend on write ordering.  Softupdates
> :    issues all non-conflicting writes in parallel and doesn't care what order
> :    they are written to the disk.  When those complete, softupdates will then
> :    followup with all the writes that depend on the original set.
>
> As far as I know Kirk McKusick had bad expiriences with disks not
> honouring the ordered stuff.
>
> What is the truth?

I stated it poorly.  Softupdates does depend on the equivalent of "write
barrier" semantics, as Matt describes.  It doesn't explicitly issue
"ordered" writes because it's running lots of separately dependant write
chains in parallel, while a true "barrier" would apply across all writes.

The semantic that softupdates desires is difficult to achieve.  It can be
best approximated using a disk controller with nonvolatile cache memory
(as this reduces some of the windows to nearly zero).