Date:      Mon, 23 Apr 2001 10:44:58 -0400
From:      Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>
To:        "David E. Cross" <crossd@srs.cs.rpi.edu>, Bill Paul <wpaul@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ypserv loops (was Re: FreeBSD 4.3-RC5 now on ftp.freebsd.org)

On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 07:34:35PM -0400, David E. Cross wrote:
> but it looks like you will trip over this with just a 400 byte
> entry.  Yes, I know this is inefficient, it is supposed to be, its
> purpose is to show that the data base internally re-uses the
> pointers, the end effect is that this code produces an infinite loop
> as the "prev" key gets over-written with a more distant key then was
> previously listed.

FYI..
A couple times a year, ypserv goes into a loop of some kind here and
starts chewing CPU.  It still works but is incredibly slow, and
generally ruins my day.  I've found that when it happens, it happens
again right after being restarted, and just killing and restarting it
for several hours is the only thing I've been able to do.  I've held
off on bothering anyone about it, since I had no way to reproduce it
at will, but since it sounds like you may be talking about the same
thing, I thought I'd mention that I was seeing this as well.

If I get a chance (unlikely given current project deadlines), I'll try
the program posted and see what happens.  I thought I had some debug
logs lying around, but I can't find them.  It's been a while since
the last incident, and NIS gets a pretty decent amount of use:

USER   PID %CPU %MEM   VSZ  RSS  TT  STAT STARTED      TIME COMMAND
root   647  8.3  0.7  2088 1804  ??  Rs   14Feb01 6402:39.57 ypserv

--
Christopher Masto         Senior Network Monkey      NetMonger Communications
chris@netmonger.net        info@netmonger.net        http://www.netmonger.net

Free yourself, free your machine, free the daemon -- http://www.freebsd.org/