Date:      Tue, 21 Aug 2001 10:19:06 -0400
From:      Bill Vermillion <bill@wjv.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: stable-digest V5 #251

> Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 08:51:52 -0500 From:
> jacks@sage-american.com Subject: Re: CVSUP
>
> Yeah, there are about 17 sites in the USA. Best to run traceroute
> on each to find the fastest site. Sometimes closer is not
> better.... many are more than 20 hops while another is only 11
> hops (from here).... but depends on your location too.

You'll be better off paying attention the transit times on traceroute
than hop count.  A closer site may be slow than one with a larger
hop count.  I've found that in my case.  I've found some that are 4
or 5 hops closer that are over 60ms longer.  eg 11 hops at 110ms
vs 15 hops at 37ms.  I've always used the further route because it
was the fastest of the ones I had tested.

Thanks to your post, and I had not realized there were now 17 cvsup
servers, I started traceroute on all of them and
found another 11 hop that trimmed 12 seconds off of my previous
faster link.  Down to 27ms - but my servers are in a well-connect
colo -L3.  My shortest hop count was over 60ms.

So you need to test for your site.

Bill

--
Bill Vermillion -   bv @ wjv . com