Date:      Tue, 5 Oct 2004 07:54:15 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Christopher Nehren <apeiron@comcast.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers List <hackers@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/usr.sbin/newsyslog newsyslog.8 newsyslog.c

--OwLcNYc0lM97+oe1

On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 10:33:25PM -0400, Christopher Nehren wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-10-04 at 23:35 +0000, Brooks Davis wrote:
> > brooks      2004-10-04 23:35:13 UTC
> >=20
> >   FreeBSD src repository
> >=20
> >   Modified files:
> >     usr.sbin/newsyslog   newsyslog.8 newsyslog.c=20
> >   Log:
> >   Add a new -d argument which is used to specify an alternate root for =
log
> >   files similar to DESTDIR in the BSD make process.  This only affects =
log
> >   file paths not config file (-f) or archive directory (-a) paths.
>=20
> Excellent idea. This will cut down on a lot of verbosity in the
> newsyslog.conf file. However, perhaps the accompanying patch is a better
> implementation. It allows both relative and absolute path names to be
> listed, so that logs which are stored in a chroot'd environment (think
> BIND 9) can be specified along with logs specified with the -d option.
> I'll admit right now that my C is nothing near as good as I'd like it to
> be (though I have been reading my Deitel book), but I have tested this
> and it does what I want it to do.

This is not my intent.  If anything, the opposite should be implemented
because you'll get non-sensical paths from relative paths otherwise.
Are relative paths currently supported?  They don't seem to make much
sense, though maybe on the command line.

My initial goal was to make it possiable to use newsyslog to create
log files in the src/etc/Makefile distribution target rather the
current method which hard codes a copy of the information stored in
newsyslog.conf in the Makefile.

> Also, while I'm here, is there any plan to port this to RELENG_5?

Yes, I plan MFC at some point.  I doubt it will be done for 5.3 at this
point.

-- Brooks

--=20

--OwLcNYc0lM97+oe1