Date:      Mon, 9 Oct 1995 13:31:57 +0100
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        davidg@root.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: boot failure

On Oct 8,  6:28, David Greenman wrote:
} >I the last FreeBSD-stable received (today 11 GMT) refuse to boot
} >saying that it is unable to mount the root file system
} >
} >in fact pci devices have not been detected at all
} >
} >is there any fix for this problem
}
}    The fix might be to go back to the previous version in -stable (breaking
} support for certain Compaq machines).
}    This is NOT good news. :-(

Sorry about that!

I sent a request for tests of the new probe code to the
current list some three weeks ago, and received ZERO
replies, which generally means, there is nothing wrong.

I'll try to get some debug output from that system, but
I'd understand, if you wanted to go back to the previous
release, in case there is a new SNAP being built.

But to get feedback on this problem, I'd rather have the
current revision in -stable, or I'll never be able to
understand what's going on.

It results in aboot failure, but those people can just
boot their kernel.old. There is no risk of data corruption.
Please let me have a chance to get some feedback ...

I'll try to resolve this in time for 2.1R !

STefan

--
 Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen		Tel:	+49 221 4706021
 Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln	FAX:	+49 221 4705160