Date:      Wed, 18 Aug 2004 20:24:21 -0700
From:      Henrik W Lund <henrik.w.lund@broadpark.no>
To:        Curtis Vaughan <cav@mail.dux.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvsup install

Curtis Vaughan wrote:

> Made a big mistake today.  I was reading in a book that I needed to
> install cvsup for doing updates.  Good.  So, I started installing it.
> Meanwhile I began perusing the FreeBSD website information about cvsup
> and there I read, if you not using a gui, then don't install cvsup,
> but cvsup-without-gui.  So, is there a way to back out the cvsup which
> I did do as it apparently has installed a lot of stuff I don't need on
> this server.
> Or do I have to just uninstall all those packages individually?  Is
> there a way then to identify which packages were installed by
> installing cvsup?
>
> Curtis

Greetings!

I'd say your best bet is to install sysutils/portupgrade and use the
pkg_deinstall command with the -R flag. I.e.:

`pkg_deinstall -R cvsup'

If you absolutely do not want any more riffraff on your box, then you
must examine the output of

`pkg_info -r cvsup'

and pkg_delete each of the packages listed manually, then delete cvsup.
If pkg_delete fails on any one of the packages in the list, recurse
through its dependencies until it can be deleted, then proceed to the
next package in the list, etc... Just be careful when traversing the
dependencies. Sooner or later you might deinstall something you really
want to keep, so keep your eyes open. Not all packages that cvsup
depends on is required only by cvsup, and some of them were probably
already installed when you installed cvsup. Like I said, your best bet
is to go with the sysutils/portupgrade method.

Hope this helps!
-Henrik W Lund