Date:      Mon, 11 Apr 2016 20:33:17 -0400
From:      Emb Aud <embaudarm@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   More questions RE: booting FreeBSD on Zynq

Hi Everyone.  I'm still working on my FreeBSD boot configuration for Zynq.
Thanks to those how have helped me thus far.

Could you all help point in the right direction in regards to a few things?

1. I've decided that I don't want to use U-Boot.  So I'm going to have to
bootstrap the kernel myself.  Do you guys think it would be easier to load
the kernel directly or to load the kernel using ubldr?  The catch being
that ubldr apparently requires emulating some u-boot API functionality.

2. Can someone help me understand the role of the device tree?  I get that
it describes the hardware memory locations.  What I'm a little fuzzy on is
at what point during the boot process it is used.  Is it used by u-boot?
Is it used by the kernel?  If it's used by the kernel, how does the kernel
know where to find it?

3. Is there any support for using QSPI flash as a filesystem?  I am going
to be booting out of QSPI because the SD-Card is not going to be available
as a boot device.   I'd like to keep the entire boot process in QSPI if I
can.

4. I've been looking at ubldr, trying to figure out how to build it by
itself... Just so I can get  a good look at what files are involved.  What
is the proper way to run "make" in a subdirectory of the source tree?
Everything that I've tried so far has resulted in errors.

Thank you.