Date:      Mon, 21 Nov 2022 09:10:04 -0500
From:      mike tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RELENG_13 and min cpu frequency

On 11/19/2022 12:41 AM, Ian Smith wrote:
>   >
>   > Setting debug.cpufreq.lowest: to 3000 does not seem to make a
>   > difference
>
> I see below that it's 0 .. didn't it take, or was that another time?
>
>   > dev.cpu.0.freq_levels: 3400/-1
>   > dev.cpu.0.freq: 1302

Hi

     the 0 value appears to be the default when it boots up.

> So, hmm.  powerd reads and sets values in dev.cpu.0.freq_levels, hence can't change it to anything but 3400.
>
> So how is cpu.0.freq changing at all?  Is cpufreq using est(4)?  Are there more freqs in dev.est.0.freq_settings?

I dont have that in the tree. cpufreq is in the kernel, but

# sysctl -A | grep freq_settings
#

does not show it as a value

> Or is it using a _relative_ driver like acpi_throttle or p4tcc?  Default /boot/device.hints has both of these disabled for good reason (Kevin Oberman can elaborate)

Not sure, but I dont have any mods to device.hints

hint.acpi_throttle.0.disabled="1"
hint.p4tcc.0.disabled="1"

     ---Mike