Date:      Tue, 27 Nov 2001 22:40:51 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Forrest W. Christian" <forrestc@imach.com>
To:        Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD ISP <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Whats with this -> sendto: No buffer space available

Actually, if you haven't rebooted, netstat -m should show the maximum
number of mbufs which have been used (also look at mbuf clusters).

Filling mbufs/mbuf clusters are sometimes a sign of a bigger problem -
such as packet loss caused by something misconfigured in the path.

If you've got a lot of flows going into a box (such as for a mail server),
I can almost guarantee that the out-of-the-box tuning is too small.  In
addition, if you have tuned tcpip to permit a larger window size, it tends
to eat mbufs.

This can also be caused my a buggy driver/card.   3com cards have been
known to have this problem recently (along with others at various other
times).

- Forrest W. Christian (forrestc@imach.com) AC7DE