Date:      Thu, 29 Apr 1999 01:11:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>
To:        Robert Watson <robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org>
Cc:        advocacy@freebsd.org, "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Subject:   Re: Standard Splash Screen?

On 29-Apr-99 Robert Watson wrote:
> I also like the "wow, that's UNIX thing" after they see me log into kdm,
> onto a desktop using kfm as a file manager and window maker as the window
> manager (they seem to interoperate nicely).

I still use fvwm2 for all my wm'ing needs, but I do use kdm instead of xdm.  I
even have a blowup of chuck from the one where he's standing on the rock for
the little pic in the dialog box.

> But splash screens are great, as they hide a lot of nasty complexity that
> most people don't need or want to look at.  There's a slight blip in
> between the end of the splash screen and the beginning of kdm.  Anyone
> have any thoughts on how to hide that?

You can't w/o having weird side effects like the keyboard or mouse not working
in X.  It's only for a second or two so I wouldn't worry 'bout it all that much.

> Robert
>
> On Wed, 28 Apr 1999, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:
>
>> Anyone here would vote on any of the currently available art for a
>> default boot splash screen? "Real Hackers don't use splash screens"
>> votes also apply. :-)
>>
>> --
>> Daniel C. Sobral                     (8-DCS)
>> dcs@newsguy.com
>> dcs@freebsd.org
>>
>>      "Well, Windows works, using a loose definition of 'works'..."
>
>   Robert N Watson
>
> robert@fledge.watson.org              http://www.watson.org/~robert/

---

John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu> -- http://members.freedomnet.com/~jbaldwin/