Date:      Thu, 26 Dec 2002 16:06:31 -0800
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More Portupgrade questions

On 26 Dec 2002 at 14:31, Kent Stewart boldly uttered:
> On Thursday 26 December 2002 02:21 pm, Philip J. Koenig wrote:

> > Running "make index" fills the screen with lots more error messages
> > than "portsdb -Uu".. :-)
> >
> > Mostly "..no entry for.." messages, some "..Duplicate INDEX entry:.."
> > messages.
>
> That was when "make index" was broken. If you do it today, you don't see
> that. You get a message about generating the index and that is it.

Actually that was when I ran it just before writing that email.

Just before writing this message, I re-cvsup'd ports-all.  As I am
writing this, I did "make index" again.  No more "no entry for"
errors, but I did get 4 "Duplicate INDEX entry" errors.

Progress. :-)

Continued below.

> > [other error msgs snipped]

> > > Re-cvsup your ports tree and see if this still happens.
> >
> > I just cvsup'd it yesterday, this was the prerequisite to trying to
> > update portupgrade and the rest of the ports.
> >
> > FYI - if I'm not mistaken, "cvsup-without-gui-16.1f" shares the same
> > code as the "with gui" cvsup port, but with a different build option.
>
> I have without-gui installed. I log everything and there isn't any point
> to building the gui and then running it from a shell script that tees
> the output.

The only reason I mentioned that port is because it showed up in the
list of port errors.

It looks like all these duplicate errors are for ports which
reference another port but just change the build options slightly.
IE the Makefile for cvsup-without-gui has just the following 2 lines:

MASTERDIR=		${.CURDIR}/..cvsup
WITHOUT_X11=	yes

This is starting to make sense now.

As a matter of fact, after removing some orphaned ports and fixing up
some dependencies, everything is looking copacetic.  Now for some
actual port upgrading.  Thanks for all the help folks.

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium