Date:      Tue, 29 Aug 2000 01:10:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/20877: ICMP error msg on UDP port unreachable is incorrect

The following reply was made to PR kern/20877; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>
To: Frank Volf <volf@oasis.IAEhv.nl>
Cc: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org, Garrett Wollman <wollman@FreeBSD.org>,
	Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 10:49:06 +0300

 On Tue, Aug 29, 2000 at 01:03:44AM +0200, Frank Volf wrote:

 > Ruslan,
 >
 > I verified your patch, and it seems to work for udp based traceroutes.
 > I do have two questions though:
 >
 > 1) You might have broken ipfw, ipfilter and possibly other packet filtering
 >    systems that are called in ip_input(); if they use icmp_error() and they
 >    did the right thing (fixing ip_id e.a) then they do now the wrong thing
 >    :-)

 No they do not "fix" it, and so they were broken as well.  It could be checked
 by putting the following ipfw(8) rule:

 ipfw add 10 unreach host ip from foo to bar

 > 2) I do not understand why you remove HTONS(ip->ip_id) from ip_forward().
 >    I have the feeling, without being able to pin point it, that you have
 >    broken something: because now you change the ip_id for every ip packet
 >    that goes through ip_forward()! If this was not broken before it must
 >    be broken now (or I must get some sleep....).

 Because HTONS(ip->ip_id) has migrated to icmp_error() where it should be.
 Try `traceroute -m1 1.2.3.4' via FreeBSD router from one-hop-away host.

 BTW NetBSD had this bug fixed since January 1999 in a similar fashion.

 --
 Ruslan Ermilov		Oracle Developer/DBA,
 ru@sunbay.com		Sunbay Software AG,