Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2023 17:59:57 -0700
From:      bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <darius@dons.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Persuading ssh -X to work from a RasPiOS system

On Wed, Mar 22, 2023 at 10:11:08AM +1030, Daniel O'Connor wrote:

> > On 22 Mar 2023, at 09:59, bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net> wrote:
> > After a recent round of upgrades to both FreeBSD-current and RasPiOS64
> > it developed that running
> > ssh -X  [freebsd hostname]
> > gets me logged in, but issuing
> > xterm -sb
> > reports
> > xterm: Xt error: Can't open display:
> > xterm: DISPLAY is not set
>
> 'DISPLAY is not set' is saying that ssh hasn't done the forwarding.
>
> If you run 'xterm' before you login to FreeBSD, does it work?

Somewhat to my surprise, xterm isn't recognized as a command
on the RasPiOS end. The default terminal emulator is lxterminal,
but I thought xterm would still be recognized. Evidently not.

> Perhaps you don't have an X server (eg you could be using Wayland I guess)

The RasPiOS system boots to the command line and the windowing
system is started up using startx. The man page for startx seems
to imply that the Pi is using some flavor of X, but I'm not sure
which one. Xwayland is available, but not installed.

Thanks for writing,

bob prohaska