Date:      Sun, 14 Sep 1997 12:05:50 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Paul Dekkers <paul@nev.ml.org>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IMAP

On Sat, 13 Sep 1997, Doug White wrote:

>> >Make sure that /var/mail has perms 775.
>>
>> but in that case the owner has to be GID users or smth so that people with
>> GID users can create lockfiles?
>> but I don't want to let them put trash to it, is that possible? now they
>> can write over there... :-(
>
>Oh, the other part of it is make it owned by bin:bin.
>
>drwxrwxr-x   2 bin     bin       512 May 20 14:31 mail/
>
>This way sendmail et.al. can write stuff in there, but run as someone
>other than bin, such as a user.  But not just anyone can dump stuff in
>there.

I tried, but I thought imap wanted to create the lockfiles with the user
as owner?! At least, when I changed mail's perms to bin.users and
drwxrwxr-x theproblem disappeared...

>I made that change after the IMAP problem; they had some suggestions for
>setting up /var/mail perms for best results.

by another way; isn't imap really unsafe? as a normal user I can view the
root filesystem, even with no shell or ftp account!? (and also when I've
an account with limited root)

-= Paul =-
 __   _
/  |_| |