Date:      Thu, 23 Oct 1997 18:49:06 -0600
From:      Kenneth Ingham <ingham@i-pi.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2.5-RELEASE and PC Cards

Thanks to Nate's suggested changed to /etc/pccard.conf, things are better.
The ethernet card is recognized when I plug it in, and ifconfig shows it
properly configured.
The modem appears to work (I can talk to it), but I haven't actually
tried dialing with it.

However, now the power light on the connector is not on.

If I pull the card out, wait a moment, and put it back in, the light
lights up until I get the message that the card has been recognized.
Then it goes out.    It goes out right on the second beep.

For reference, here is the pccard.conf file again:

# Sample PCCARD configuration file
#
# Removing all IRQ conflicts from this file can't be done because of some
# IRQ-selfish PC-cards.  So if you want to use some of these cards in
# your machine, you will be forced to modify their IRQ parameters from
# the following list.
#
# IRQ == 0 means "allocate free IRQ from IRQ pool"
# IRQ == 16 means "do not use IRQ (e.g. PIO mode)"
#
# $Id: pccard.conf.sample,v 1.4 1996/06/19 01:28:07 nate Exp $

# Generally available IO ports
io	0x240-0x360
# Generally available IRQs (Built-in sound-card owners remove 5)
irq	3 5 10 11 13 15
# Available memory slots
memory	0xd4000  96k

# 3Com Etherlink III 3C589B, 3C589C
card "3Com Corporation" "3C589"
	config	0x1 "ep0" 11
	insert	echo 3Com Etherlink III inserted
	insert	/etc/pccard_ether ep0 -link0 link1
#	insert	/etc/pccard_ether ep0 link0 -link1
	remove	echo 3Com Etherlink III removed
	remove	/sbin/ifconfig ep0 delete

# US Robotics Sportster PCMCIA V.34
# US Robotics COURIER PCMCIA V.34
card "USRobotics" "PCMCIA 28800 Data/Fax"
	config  0x3 "sio1" 5
	insert  echo USRobotics PCMCIA Modem inserted
	remove  echo USRobotics PCMCIA Modem removed

Kenneth