Date:      Wed, 12 Mar 2003 20:38:13 -0500
From:      Bruce Campbell <bruce@engmail.uwaterloo.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   problem on 1TB filesystem RAID 5 3ware

File corruption on 2 identical systems, designed to be backup
servers to contain dumps of other systems:

FreeBSD ecserv18.uwaterloo.ca 4.7-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE #0: Wed Oct  9
15:08:34 GMT 2002 root@builder.freebsdmall.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
i386

with 1TB /backup partition, on a 3ware 7500-8 ATA RAID card, RAID 5:

Filesystem      1K-blocks      Used     Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/twed0s1a    20644846    906552  18086708     5%    /
procfs                  4         4         0   100%    /proc
/dev/twed0s1e   938819776 279031856 584682338    32%    /backup

disks are 6 x Western Digital 2000JB  (200GB)

I ran tests on /backup for 10 days on each system (fill disk with
50GB files of pseudo random data, then reading them all back and
verify contents, then erase, then start over).  Tests ran perfectly.

details on hardware config at:

http://www.freebsd.uwaterloo.ca/twiki/bin/view/Freebsd/BackupServerHardware

Then, I was ready to put the systems into production, so I copied
data from my 2 older backup servers (which have 360GB vinum partitions)
and after copying the data (approx 250GB in 325 files) about a dozen
files were corrupt after the copy.  I copied via an NFS mount.

All corruption started on a 64K boundary, except one which was on a 16K
boundary.  Recopied the dozen corrupt files, and then only 6 were corrupt.
Same problem on both systems, each which copied from a different source
server.

File seems corrupt to the end after first corruption starts, I have
not looked for a pattern to see if it is another files contents,
or misplaced contents from the same file.

fsck shows no problems

Restarted my test filling with 50GB files again, has run perfectly.

I plan to try:

  - turn off soft updates
  - RAID 10 instead of 5
  - different file system parameters, for example I don't need
    100 million inodes.
  - rcp'ing the files
  - staring at computer screen

By the way, 3ware has not officially approved the WD 200GB drive last
time I checked.

Lots of good experience with the motherboard (ASUS P4S533) and
network card (Intel Pro/100).  Lots of good experience with
vinum striped partitions of smaller size (360GB)

Does anyone have any suggestions ?

--
Bruce Campbell
Engineering Computing