Date:      Sat, 04 Mar 2000 08:37:13 PST
From:      "Cosmic 665" <the_hermit665@hotmail.com>
To:        james.kelly@tcs.wap.org, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd,netbsd,openbsd

Here are the diferences;

FreeBSD
     pros:
         a. The most popular of the two
         b. Has the most support
         c. More compatibility and more Docs
         d. SMP support
     cons:
         a. Linux emulation needs work (it's great, but not perfect)
            however, linux emulation on FreeBSD *may* prove to have
            greater results than Net & OpenBSD
         b. Intel (i386) and alpha archs only (so far)
OpenBSD
      pros:
         a. *By default* the most secure BSD OS out-of-the-box
             (of the three)
         b. Mult-platformed
         c. Better security due to less popularity
         d. has a better way of dealing with sound than FreeBSD (my
    opinion)
      cons:
         a.  No SMP support (yet)
         b.  Incompatibities with FreeBSD ports
         c.  Lacks all the ports of FreeBSD (less *ported* apps
specifially for OpenBSD)
         d.  OpenBSD is a 6 month old copy of NetBSD
NetBSD
      pros:
         a.  Multi-platformed
         b.  more people run it than OpenBSD
         c.  I believe it is the *Prefered-OS* of BSD on macs
         d.  More support than OpenBSD for ports/apps
      cons:
         a.  SMP support??? (is there any??)
         b.  Incompatibilities with FreeBSD ports
         c.  Open & NetBSD require more config than FreeBSD
         d.  Not as popular as FreeBSD but more popular than openbsd

Now a lot of people will probably bitch about what I've said.  But if you
search the net you will find it to be *totally-true*.  You will probably end
up using NetBSD on your mac.  Screw MacOS X!!!