Date:      Thu, 15 Apr 2004 12:51:05 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        "Arend P. van der Veen" <apv@capital.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Packages

--oPmsXEqKQNHCSXW7

On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 03:39:26AM -0400, Arend P. van der Veen wrote:

> I have a question about ports.  I have a port installed.  I want to make
> package for it also.  I find that I must delete the package from my
> system first and then go "make package".  This is because make package
> must install the package first. =20
>=20
> Is there a better way to make a package that does not require me to
> uninstall and reinstall it from my system ?

Unfortunately not -- building a package does require you to install
the package as well.  There has been some mention on the
freebsd-ports@... mailing list of modifying the system to be able to
install into a temporary area prior to creating a package, but as far
as I know, nothing has yet happened.

A solution to this problem which you can use if you have sufficient
spare capacity is to set up a jail system specially for building
packages: that's the basis of what the FreeBSD package building
cluster does.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20