Date:      Sun, 12 Mar 2000 21:05:57 -0500
From:      Bob Johnson <bobj@atlantic.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        eric.boucher24@sympatico.ca
Subject:   Re: Installation problem

I haven't used Win 2000, but because it is simply the most recent
version of Windows NT, I think you can probably use the same
procedure that is used for Windows NT 3 and 4.  I'm going to
explain how you would solve this for NT 4, you'll have to
experiment and see if it works this way for Win 2000.  Please
post your results to the list: it will be useful information
for a lot of people in the future, I'm sure.

On a Win NT system the master boot record loads and runs the
Win NT boot loader from the NT boot partition.  The boot loader
then presents you with a menu that lets you select which
partition you _really_ want to boot from.  You have replaced
the MBR with the FreeBSD boot manager, so when you select the
"DOS" option, it boots the NT boot loader, which then presents
you with the normal NT boot menu.  That is why you are
seeing two boot menus.

It is pretty easy to get rid of the FreeBSD boot menu and
return your system to its normal boot process.  Simply boot
from the Windows NT install CD-ROM/floppy and tell it to
repair the existing installation.  When it asks you what to
repair, tell it to ONLY repair the Master Boot Record (i.e.
the boot sector).  I expect Windows 2000 will be similar.

Now, let's see if we can get FreeBSD working on your system:

Unfortunately, it sounds like you are also having a problem
because you have a large hard drive.  This will greatly
complicate things if it is true.  Like most operating
systems, FreeBSD can only boot from a partition that is in
the first 1024 cylinders of the hard drive.  This is because
of limitations in the system BIOS, not the operating system.

Check your system BIOS and look at how many cylinders it
thinks your hard drive has.  If it is more than 1024, then
take a look at
http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/multi-os/x136.html
for information on this problem.

You may need to either re-install Windows 2000, or get a
program like Partition Magic to re-partition your drive
without having to re-install Windows.  Your goal is for
the FreeBSD boot partition to be ENTIRELY contained in
the first 1024 cylinders of your hard drive.  The boot
partition is the "root" partition, and is called "/" when
you set up FreeBSD.  It will only need to be about 40 MB
(it should be at least 40 MB to allow room for growth
when you upgrade to newer releases of FreeBSD).  All of
the other FreeBSD stuff can be anywhere on the disk.

Once you have figured out how to arrange your disk so all
three operating systems can boot from the first 1024
cylinders, you need to read (and probably print out) the
instructions at
http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/admin.html#AEN1778 , which
explain how to boot FreeBSD from the NT boot loader.

When you install FreeBSD, tell it to install a standard
MBR.  This will set it up so that when you reboot your
system it will boot to FreeBSD.  You will need to do
this as the first step of arranging the system to
multi-boot, and later will fix it so it boots to NT.
If you can't boot FreeBSD with the standard MBR, you are
probably still having a problem with the 1024 cylinder
limit.  You can also have problems if the MBR is not on
the same drive as the FreeBSD boot partition.

Once you have installed FreeBSD and booted to it, you
will need to copy the FreeBSD boot sector to a floppy
as described in the instructions you printed out above.
You can figure out which partition you are interested
in by using the command "df".  The "/" partition is
the one you need to copy the boot partition from.  Use
the "dd" command as described in the instructions to
create a file on an MS-DOS floppy.  In recent versions
of FreeBSD, "mount_msdos /mnt /dev/rfd0" (or something
like that -- I'm doing this from memory) is how you
mount an MS-DOS floppy.

Once you have the boot file on the floppy, run the
NT (or Win 2000?) Install program and tell it to repair
the boot record so that it will boot to the NT boot
loader.  Then reboot Windows NT or Win 2000 and edit the
boot loader as described in the instructions you printed
out.  Once you have done that, the Windows 2000 boot
menu will include FreeBSD as a choice.

Good luck!

-- Bob