Date:      Thu, 18 Jul 2002 12:15:15 -0700
From:      Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Alex Rousskov <rousskov@measurement-factory.com>
Cc:        "Chuck T." <freebsdfan@hotmail.com>, net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: programatically list all local IP addresses ?

* De: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@measurement-factory.com> [ Data: 2002-07-18 ]
	[ Subjecte: Re: programatically list all local IP addresses ? ]
> On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, Chuck T. wrote:
>
> > Yes portablity is a concern, unfortunately my program will
> > probably be used on Linux more than FreeBSD, sigh.  I starting to
> > read about ioctl() and SIOCGIFADDR which appears to be portable
> > (and a pain).
>
> We had to write portable local address detection for Web Polygraph. In
> my experience, ioctl/SIOCGIFADDR is not portable at all and is a lot
> of pain. Linux uses them differently from FreeBSD, and the exact
> interface/behavior is often OS-version specific (e.g., for Solaris
> IIRC).
>
> Looking at existing code helps. I would suggest using getifaddrs(3)
> where available (./configure can detect that, of course) and delve
> into ioctl() and other OS-specific methods where getifaddrs(3) is not
> supported. Stockpile some pain relieve medication first.

Using a library which has these sorts of things abstracted helps.  I believe
this particular case is one covered by libnet or libdnet or whatever it's
called.
--
Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.org>       | FreeBSD: The Power To Serve
Will break world for fulltime employment. | finger jmallett@FreeBSD.org