Date:      Thu, 18 Nov 1999 21:34:08 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
To:        "Timothy A. Musson" <Timothy.A.Musson@grc.nasa.gov>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: secure filesystem wiping

I just skimmed the document that was referred to me on security.  I see
now that there are many ways of extracting that low-level residual data.
But you would really need to have data someone REALLY wants for them to be
willing to try most of those techniques.  Frankly, if the deleted data is
that critical, I would backup the drive, buy a new one (they are cheap
enough these days) and restore from tape.  Then use the old one as a
doorstop or melt it down somewhere.

-jm

"I said he'll flip you.  Flip you for real."
- Fenster, The Usual Suspects