Date:      Wed, 5 Mar 1997 16:37:22 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@vader.cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        fenner@parc.xerox.com
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Two Q's: "make depend" and repairing distfile?

 * pre-build:
 * 	@(cd ${WRKSRC}; ${SETENV} ${MAKE_ENV} ${GMAKE} ${MAKE_FLAGS} ${MAKEFILE} ${DEPEND_TARGET})

I know you've already decided not to do this, but just FYI: you can
just use "ALL_TARGET=depend all" or something.

 * 2. The distribution is from a broken HTTP server, which uncompresses
 * the file before sending it even though it is a .tar.gz, resulting
 * in getting an uncompressed file with the name foo.tar.gz, which
 * bsd.port.mk doesn't like.  I wrote the following to recompress it,
 * but it's kind of hokey.  Anyone have better ideas?
 *
 * # jarok.cs.ohiou.edu manages to uncompress the file before it transmits it,
 * # even though it returns a content-type of file/gzip.  Repair the damage.
 * #
 * # Using "if; then else" because of sh bug in 3.0-current .
 * post-fetch:
 * 	@(cd ${_DISTDIR}; \
 * 	  if file ${DISTFILES} | grep -s gzip; then \
 * 	  else \
 * 		echo "re-compressing ${DISTFILES}"; \
 * 		mv ${DISTFILES} `basename ${DISTFILES} .gz`; \
 * 		gzip `basename ${DISTFILES} .gz`; \
 * 	  fi)

This will not work if MASTER_SITE_OVERRIDE is defined.  You can either

(1) keep the file as it is, and define EXTRACT_BEFORE_ARGS to not
    uncompress it, or

(2) compress it by hand and I'll put it up on LOCAL_PORTS.

Satoshi