Date:      Sun, 26 Mar 2000 15:33:02 -0500 (EST)
From:      Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
To:        Arun Sharma <adsharma@sharmas.dhs.org>
Cc:        "Richard Seaman, Jr." <dick@tar.com>, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: RTLD thread safety

On Sun, 26 Mar 2000, Arun Sharma wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 26, 2000 at 11:04:08AM -0600, Richard Seaman, Jr. wrote:
> > No.  See the file libc_thread.c in the linuxthreads port.
> >
> > Note that if you call rfork (RF_MEM...) without any supporting
> > infrastructure (eg. as provided by the linuxthreads port) you
> > are in dangerous territory.  You do not get *any* of the
> > thread safe behaviour in libc, libgcc, or in ld-ef.so.
>
> So you went the dllockinit way. Why not put that code in ld-elf.so itself ?
> Same goes for other work you've done as a part of the linuxthreads port. If
> it is the GPL contamination issue, someone (perhaps me) can rewrite the
> relevant parts.
>
> When FreeBSD has it's own native kernel supported pthreads package, all
> these things will be very much necessary, irrespective of which threads
> model the package uses. So why not do this work now ?
>
> Also, what happened to all the discussion on -arch ? Was there a consensus
> reached ?

I believe Julian, Jason Evans, and myself reached somewhat of a consensus.
The details haven't been worked out AFAIK.  I have some more diagrams and
code snippets that try to work out some of the details, but they need a
little more work.  I also need to hash things out with Jason and -arch
before proceeding much further.

Dan Eischen