Date:      Tue, 7 Jan 1997 08:45:46 +0100 (MET)
From:      sos@FreeBSD.ORG
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2-BETA comments

> As sos@freebsd.org wrote:
>
> > > I think the ScrollLock feature used to have problems all the time, in
> > > particular if output data arrived while one was scrolling back.
> >
> > Erhm, could you be more specific about this one ?? I know I use it
> > this way often and it has newer failed on me (yet).
>
> Hit ScrollLock immediately after the interrupts got enabled, i.e.
> very early in /etc/rc.  Browse a little back and forth through the
> kernel messages, hit ScrollLock again and -- you don't see any
> messages from /etc/rc.  It takes you another return or so to finally
> see them.

Ah, that one, I know that one, that's a feature :)
Nah, but I think I know how to get rid of it..

> But maybe that's also another incarnation of the ``buggy pty''
> behaviour only.  The latter can be best observed in the Emergency
> Holographic Shell of a 2.2-ALPHA or -BETA installation floppy.  It's
> simply unusable if you try entering anything while the installation is
> in progress.  Funny, no response.  If you switch back to VTY2, you
> won't get back to VTY4 (though the EHS is still running there), the
> system beeps only.
>
> Now, try again, and start another /bin/sh or /bin/csh on top of the
> EHS itself -- everything will work fine.

Hmm, that one is more wierd..

> (If you ask me: the ``beep if there's nothing open on that VTY''
> misfeature is something i already hated in Interactive Unix.  I never
> believed one would implement such a misfeature volunteerely.  But i
> know, you don't ask me. :)

Well, I was convinced of doing it so long ago, what should be done
instead ??, all the structures associated with that vty are free'd
so there is nothing to show...
That was done on demand to get rid of also those huge structs...

Søren Schmidt               (sos@FreeBSD.org)               FreeBSD Core Team
                Even more code to hack -- will it ever end
..