Date:      Thu, 4 Sep 1997 16:46:28 -0400
From:      john@jwlab.feith.com (John Wehle)
To:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de
Subject:   Re: Updated support for Ensoniq SoundScape Elite or VIVO in FreeBSD-3.0

> Do you know the chipset these card use, or which device they emulate ?

Some information about the SoundScape Elite:

  1) The CODEC is an AD-1848.

  2) The synthesizer is an Ensoniq OTTO.

  3) There are developer kits (including source code) available at
     ftp.ensoniq.com:/pub/ssdevlpr.

  4) FreeBSD currently includes a driver which is labeled as broken in
     the kernel LINT configuration file so I didn't try it.

  5) The current OSS/FREE for Linux supports the SoundScape Elite.

  6) In theory the SoundScape Elite will emulate a Sound Blaster once
     the microcode has been downloaded.

  7) It is not PnP.

  8) I happen to have one. :-)

Some information about the SoundScape VIVO:

  1) It is PnP.

  2) I don't have one and don't know much about it.  My guess is that
     it's similar to the SoundScape Elite except it's PnP and doesn't
     have the effect processor.

I was thinking that maybe some type of effort to port the current OSS/FREE
back to FreeBSD was in progress.  BTW, where is snd97XXXX.tgz available
from?

-- John
|   Feith Systems  |   Voice: 1-215-646-8000  |  Email: john@feith.com  |
|    John Wehle    |     Fax: 1-215-540-5495  |                         |