Date:      Thu, 15 Jun 2000 08:26:25 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        Stanislav Wissotsky <stan_marina@mail.ru>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: your mail

On Thu, Jun 15, 2000 at 11:02:16AM +0400, Stanislav Wissotsky wrote:
> Dear sirs,
> I am writing to say that I am currently
> having problems with the installation of
> FreeBSD 3.4 operating system. After choosing
> an installation from CD-ROM (step 8), I
> received a message 'No CD-ROM device found' .
> I have SONY CD-ROM  model no. CDU311 version
> BA(produced in 1996). If you  find a way to
> resolve the problem I'll be very grateful.

The CDU311, a Sony CD-ROM with the proprietary interface card, is not
supported as an installation device (but it should work fine in the
installed system). There are ways to fix this, but most would require
an operating FreeBSD system to create the new files and binaries. A
potential workaround is to do the absolute minimal binary install over
FTP and then use your CDs to do the rest.