Date:      Sun, 22 Oct 1995 17:36:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      saurab@k2.cs.dartmouth.edu (Saurab Nog)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help on Amanda

Hi,

  I am trying to get amanda to work on my FreeBSD system and am facing
some problems. I have set up an account called operator with all
.rhosts permission & so on. When I do amcheck I get the following
output :

Amanda Tape Server Host Check
-----------------------------
/scr/amanda/holding_disk: 1109003 KB disk space available, that's plenty.
ERROR: /dev/nrst0: not an amanda tape.
       (expecting a new tape)
NOTE: skipping tape-writeable test.
Server check took 5.151 seconds.

Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
--------------------------------
WARNING: m.cs.dartmouth.edu: selfcheck request timed out.  Host down?
Client check: 1 hosts checked in 30.089 seconds, 1 problems found.

(brought to you by Amanda 2.2.6)

I am just trying to back up 1 machine which is both the Host & the
client. I donot understand why it is giving the "not an amanda tape"
error even though I have inserted a new DAT tape (or even the
selfcheck timed out stuff). I have an APS-HyperDAT whose specs I have
written up as

define tapetype Hyper-DAT {
    comment "APS Hyper-DAT"
    length 2000 mbytes
}

I don't have any idea about the other parameters of the tape except
that it is DDS & DDS-2 compatible & writes about 2 GB of data on a 90M
tape.

If I try to use amdump I get the following errors

<stuff deleted>

FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
  dumper: FATAL must be run setuid root to communicate correctly
  m.cs.dartm sd0s1 lev 0 FAILED [no estimate or historical data]

<stuff deleted>

(brought to you by Amanda version 2.2.6)

Any Clues guys ?? All help will be much appreciated. Please email a
copy of your response directly to me at saurab@cs.dartmouth.edu.

Best Regards
saurab