Date:      Thu, 9 Apr 1998 20:39:12 -0600
From:      Greg Skafte <skafte@worldgate.com>
To:        Jay Tribick <netadmin@fastnet.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Virus checking e-mail attachments

Quoting Jay Tribick (netadmin@fastnet.co.uk)
On Subject: Re: Virus checking e-mail attachments
Date: Wed, Apr 08, 1998 at 09:56:39AM +0100

>  | > There seems to be a lot of products available for Windoze NT etc. that
>  | > run on a mail server and scan e-mails (or their attachments) for
>  | > viruses.
>  | >
>  | > Is their anything available for FreeBSD that does this (or any
>  | > other flavour of UN*X) ?
>  | >
>  | > What I'm looking for is something that, if it detects a virus can
>  | > encapsulate an e-mail and warn the user that they should check it.
>  | McAffee has a version of VirusScan for Linux and Solaris.. If you wrote a
>  | script to take each mail spool file and unencode the attachments, you
>  | could scan them.  Unfortunately, you can't just scan the spool itself,
>  | you have to scan the binary itself.  It just uses the same virus files
>  | that the PC version have, so it will only protect you from PC viruses.
>
>  Trouble is, a lot of people send attachments mime encoded and theres
>  no simple way to decode it (correct me if i'm wrong..)

	exactly ... for guys using the symantic anti-virus email gateway
	the machine decodes each mime attachment and scans it .... then
	decides what to do with the message ....
	unfortunately this is a winbloze product ....

Email: skafte@worldgate.com	  Voice: +403 413 1910	  Fax: +403 421 4929
   #575 Sun Life Place * 10123 99 Street * Edmonton, AB * Canada * T5J 3H1
When things can't get any worse, they simplify themselves by getting a whole
lot worse then complicated. A complete and utter disaster is the simplest
thing in the world; it's preventing one that's complex.       (Janet Morris)