Date:      Tue, 17 Sep 1996 19:49:15 +0200 (MESZ)
From:      "Hr.Ladavac" <lada@ws2301.gud.siemens.co.at>
To:        jab@rock.anchorage.net (Jeffrey Barber)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Very Slow Ethernet Link (FreeBSD v. Linux)

E-mail message from Jeffrey Barber contained:
> Thanks for all the responses but still no luck. I had to put linux on the system instead. But I did run a ftp test comparing FreeBSD to Linux. The results:
>
> Using FreeBSD 2.1.0:
>
> ftp transfer with freebsd 1927427 bytes @ 4.2e+02 seconds 4.4kb/s
>
> Removing FreeBSD and Installed Linux 2.0
>
> ftp transfer with Linux    1927427 bytes @  3.05 seconds (6.2e+02 kb/s) Wooo Wooo :)
>
> Using the exact same configuration and computer, the reults are in the Linux favor by far.
> Don't know what the problem was.

This is usually symptomatic for a misconfigured 3com509 where the kernel
does not receive the interrupts (and then it times out and sends a packet
per second.)

Under FreeBSD these cards have been known to achieve >1000 KB/s,
*iff* correctly configured (i.e. PnP turned off, interrupts on the channel
where the kernel expects them, no irq conflicts, that sort of things.)

/Marino