Date:      Mon, 23 Jul 2001 06:09:35 +0900 (JST)
From:      Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume@mahoroba.org>
To:        ras@e-gerbil.net
Cc:        brian@Awfulhak.org, roam@orbitel.bg, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/22595: telnetd tricked into using arbitrary peer ip

ras> On Mon, 23 Jul 2001, Hajimu UMEMOTO wrote:

> brian> Yes, there is a problem where we've basically trusted a DNS that we
> brian> don't own -- and that is a risk.  But I can't see why 9.8.7.6 is
> brian> relevant, *except* that ``w -n'' may be mentioning it.
>
> brian> Am I misinterpreting things or is the real problem that a forward and
> brian> reverse DNS can both conspire against you ?  Or is the real problem
> brian> just ``w''s -n flag ?
>
> It is problem of w(1).  `w -n' does forward lookup for IPv4 only and
> IPv6 is not supported at all.  When available, login(1) writes
> hostname into utmp instead of IP address.  If hostname is saved, `w
> -n' queries A RR for the hostname.
> Real problem is that UT_HOSTSIZE is too short to hold IPv6 address.
> Is there any chance to expand UT_HOSTSIZE in time to 5.0-RELEASE.  It
> apparently breaks binary compatibility.

ras> This is not the problem here, login is writing the false IP to utmp.

I cannot agree with you here.  You did ssh via IPv6.  login(1) cannot
write IPv6 address into utmp.  In this case, realhostname_sa(3)
returns hostname.  The cases that IP address is saved are:

    - reverse or forward lookup was failed,
    - the result of reverse -> forward lookup doesn't match against
      the address, or
    - IPv4

Even if IPv6 address is saved, since it is chopped, it will fail to do
reverse lookup.

ume@mahoroba.org  ume@bisd.hitachi.co.jp  ume@{,jp.}FreeBSD.org
http://www.imasy.org/~ume/