Date:      Thu, 28 Nov 1996 13:16:27 -0800
From:      Erich Boleyn <erich@uruk.org>
To:        Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
Cc:        Terje.N.Marthinussen@cc.uit.no, smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   XXPRESS bus

Steve Passe <smp@csn.net> writes:

> > >---

> > Well, I'm not really sure what the XPRESS bus is. I'm a bit new to these
> > machines. I would suspect it to be the system bus?
> >
> > If so, I would suspect that the PCI busses and CPU cards are already on it?
> > The only slots in it that is non pci/eisa are those that the CPU
> > and memory cards are plugged into.
>
> the CPU/memory might be whats on the XXPRESS bus.
> you have 2 PCI busses, as well as an EISA bus in addition to the XPRESS
> bus:

The XPRESS bus is basically the Pentium CPU/memory bus.  There are many
high-end (especially >2 CPU SMP) boxes with this bus explicitly supported
to add expandability for RAM/CPU cards.  The PCI and/or (E)ISA buses are
bridged from the XPRESS bus.

Note that although I've never seen a Pentium Pro that has it's CPU/memory
bus explicitly listed in the MP Spec tables, they do all have a separate
bus which the PCI and/or (E)ISA buses are bridged from.  ...and yes, the
Pentium Pro CPU/memory bus is totally different from the XPRESS bus.

Actually, the (E)ISA bus is usually bridged from the PCI bus on the
high-end boxes.

--
  Erich Stefan Boleyn                 \_ E-mail (preferred):  <erich@uruk.org>
Mad Genius wanna-be, CyberMuffin        \__      (finger me for other stats)