Date:      Thu, 9 Dec 1999 17:19:41 -0600 (CST)
From:      David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
To:        Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Tani Hosokawa <unknown@riverstyx.net>, Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>, freebsd-chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Yahoo hacked last night

On Thu, 9 Dec 1999, Roelof Osinga wrote:

> David Scheidt wrote:
> >
> > I learned it in the context of functional languages which do
> > lazy-evaluation.  A function call didn't need to return the actual result of
> > the function, but rather just a promise that the result would be evaluated
> > in the future, but only if the result were really needed for something.  For
> > all intents, the thunk returned could be used in any way that the actual
> > result could.  So it is easy to right an O(1) function to find the Nth digit
> > of Pi.  Printing your result, though, could take a really long time.
>
> Why the past tense? I "recently" implemented one. Unfortunately I wrote
> it in Smalltalk on OS/2 (Digitalk's V/PM) so it has been sort of
> neglected since I moved away from that platform.

Er, because I no longer use any functional languages.  I don't doubt that
functional languages will be around for a while.  They are nice to program
in, once you get your mind around them.  The level of abstraction they
provide lets one do very powerful things easily.  I once had to translate a
short scheme program, maybe 150 or 200 lines, into C.  It took the better
part of a thousand lines, and a lot of head scratching to get right.  The
scheme program was developed, and debugged , inside the course of an
afternoon.

> But their type correctness makes up for a lot. Will prevent a lot
> of errors and thus save a lot of time. With the continued increase
> in clock speed and RAM they could have a very good future ahead of
> them.

Whatever became of symbolics and their Lisp Machines?  I have never seen one,
but they sound neat.

David