Date:      Fri, 16 Jun 1995 21:05:56 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        mark@grondar.za (Mark Murray), current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DES, crypt and eBones

> I don't have the test equipment, sorry.  But I do have some comments.  I
> have forwarded the whole message to a friend who dies have the equipment
> and may have an interest.

Brilliant! The more the merrier!

> > 1) The crypto code is a mess. I fail to see why it is broken into `secure'
> >    and `ebones', so I would like to merge these. (With eBones remaining a
> >    separate distribution). I would like the distributions to be called
> >    `crypto' and `krb'.
>
> I believe the eBones split is intentional to allow drop in plugging of
> crypto code to support the fact that many countries have export restrictions
> (hence your crypts stuff distribution in the first place).  Am I wrong,
> or is this a sanitized exportable framework?

Both are. The eBones and secure are sanitised.

> The secure stuff is broken out so that people can get a cdrom or other
> binary distribution from the US and the crypt from elsewhere.
>
> Maybe you need to restate what it is you are attempting to do to meet
> the plug-in crypto goal?  At the very least, this should clear up the
> confused perception of exactly what it is you are asking for (my
> current reaction is "I don't have one of those to give him because
> I don't know what one of those is").  I mean for all I know, you are
> only talking about a real code cleanup that has absolutely nothing to
> do with API severance points for export/import.

(Message bones:90)
From:  Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>

Date:    Fri, 16 Jun 1995 20:32:49 +0200
To:      rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com
cc:      mark@grondar.za (Mark Murray), current@freebsd.org,
	 Wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu, gibbs@freefall.cdrom.com

> > To summarise my proposals again (in no particular order):
> >
> > 1) The crypto code is a mess. I fail to see why it is broken into `secure'
> >    and `ebones', so I would like to merge these. (With eBones remaining a
> >    separate distribution). I would like the distributions to be called
> >    `crypto' and `krb'.
>
> Sounds like renaming for the sake of renaming to me :-(.   If eBones is
> going to remain seperate leave it called eBones!!

Yuk. I expressed myself very badly here. At the moment, the source is split
in two, `secure' and `eBones'. I want to merge these together into `crypto'
(or whatever name - it does not matter to me) and have a more natural
directory structure under that - sort of like the way it is done for src/gnu
with usr.bin, usr.sbin, lib, include and so forth under that. The libraries
in particular are too general to belong to one distribution only.

As part of the distribution, ie when the tarballs get rolled, there should
be a separating out of eBones, as not everybody will want Kerberised
binaries, even though it makes most sense to have their source with the
rest of the crypto stuff. At the moment we have the des.?? distribution,
the krb.?? distribution, the ssecure.?? distribution and the ssebones.??
distribution. My proposal is that only the source gets merged.

For the benefit of the -current users, I reckon we keep the MAKE_EBONES
option in /etc/make.conf (I want to fix that up a bit though).

> > 2) I would like to update our DES library with some code I have from Eric
> >    Young, including a secure (encrypting) telnet. He is the original author
> >    of our DES library, and he converted Bones to eBones (Encrypting Bones).
>
> I have no problem with this.

Great! This will benefit from a merge. It is currently in secure, but uses
(or can use) eBones features.

> > 4) I want to complete the RPC work.
>
> I have no problem with this.

Again, a merge will help. The libraries etc are global.

> > 5) etc...
>
> Need more details...

There are other bits of odd code like the encrypting extension to xntpd
that have no other home, and will benefit from a cleanup. I cant think of
any offhand now, but I'm sure there are more of these.

Mark Murray
46 Harvey Rd, Claremont, Cape Town 7700, South Africa
+27 21 61-3768 GMT+0200