Date:      Thu, 9 Dec 1999 12:27:30 -0600 (CST)
From:      Alex Charalabidis <alex@wnm.net>
To:        Matthew Jonkman <jonkman@bussert.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Virtual hosts

On Wed, 8 Dec 1999, Matthew Jonkman wrote:

[snip]

> and so on for all 10 virtual hosts I need.  Apache won't start and says it
> the virtual hosts overlap eachother, perhaps I need a NameVirtualHost
> directive.

You probably don't if you use an IP address for each site. Look for nested
VirtualHost's in httpd.conf... it's easy to forget a / at the beginning of
one. What you most likely DO need is Listen directives.

> So I do the NameVirtualHost like so...
>
> NameVirtualHost xxx.xxx.76.130:80
> NameVirtualHost xxx.xxx.76.131:80
> NameVirtualHost xxx.xxx.76.132:80
>
> and I apache won;t start and gives me
>
> [Sun Dec  5 23:36:04 1999] [warn] NameVirtualHost xxx.xxx.76.130:80 has no
> VirtualHosts
> [Sun Dec  5 23:36:04 1999] [warn] NameVirtualHost xxx.xxx.76.130:80 has no
> VirtualHosts
> [Sun Dec  5 23:36:04 1999] [warn] NameVirtualHost xxx.xxx.76.130:80 has no
> VirtualHosts

This happens when you have an unused NameVirtualHost directive. It will
not prevent the server from starting unless all NameVirtualHost's are
broken. The fact that the identical message appears three times suggests
that you may have multiple NameVirtualHost's with the same address.

> I seem to think it may be related to the alias and all the IP's being on a
> single interface, but I don;t know a different way to do it. Can anyone
> help? Please!

Use one IP address only. :)

It seems you haven't looked at the server's logs or run 'apachectl
configtest' before starting the server. I suggest you do both.

-ac

Alex Charalabidis (AC8139)            5050 Poplar Ave, Ste 170
Systems Administrator                        Memphis, TN 38157
WebNet Memphis                                  (901) 432 6000