Date:      Mon, 5 Jun 1995 13:21:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Adrian T. Filipi-Martin" <atf3r@server.cs.virginia.edu>
To:        FreeBSD Questions List <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   will this partitioning scheme work?

Hi folks,

	I've just upgraded to 2.0.5-ALPHA. Great job everyone! Very
impressive imporvements.

	After numerous retries, I finially had to fall back to my
original partitioning scheme, which is less than satisfactory. Perhaps
soneone could tell me whether what I want is possible and what I need to
do to get it to work.

	My hardware is:
		1 adaptec 1742 eisa scsi controller
		1 seagate st3600n 500M disk, id 0
		2 dec rz34l 234M disks, ids 1 & 2

	My present partitioning:
		sd0: use translated geometry, 125M DOS, 375M FreeBSD
		sd1: use translated geometry, 234M DOS
		sd2: use true geometry, 234M FreeBSD

	My desired partitioning:
		sd0: use true geometry, 500M FreeBSD
		sd1: use translated geometry, 234M DOS
		sd2: use true geometry, 234M FreeBSD

	When I would try installing for my desired setup, the OS could
not be found at boot time. Furthermore, BootEasy  would not boot DOS off
of the second disk. It too claimed that the operating system was missing.
If I booted dos from floppy, it was quite happy to call sd1 "c:", so I do
not see why this should be a problem.

	Basically, I repeatedly re-installed without success until I
finally broke down and fell back to my original translated geometry
partitioning. Is there some reason why I cannot get things to go with the
untranslated geometries?

thanks,
	Adrian

adrian@virginia.edu                ---->>>>| Support your local programmer,
http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~atf3r/   --->>>| STOP Software Patent Abuses NOW!
Member: The League for                 -->>| info at ftp.uu.net:/doc/lpf, print
       Programming Freedom               ->| "join.ps.Z" for an application