Date:      Sat, 23 Nov 2002 01:21:54 GMT
From:      Richard Tobin <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   pccardd in DP2

I now have DP2 running on my Vaio Z600 laptop, and I'm trying to get my
wireless ethernet running.

The cardbus is detected:

  kernel: cbb0: <RF5C475 PCI-CardBus Bridge> at device 12.0 on pci0
  kernel: cardbus0: <CardBus bus> on cbb0
  kernel: pccard0: <16-bit PCCard bus> on cbb0

But when it tries to run pccardc it reports:

  pccardc: /dev/card0: No such file or directory

(and there is indeed no /dev/card0).  pccardd exits with:

  fatal error: no PC-CARD slots

However, if I insert the wireless card and run

  /etc/pccard_ether wi0 start

by hand, everything works.

How's this meant to work?  Is there something vital I need to know
about DEVFS?

-- Richard