Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 1995 08:13:37 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        ugen@latte.worldbank.org (Ugen J.S.Antsilevich)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: dset & userconfig

Ugen J.S.Antsilevich stands accused of saying:
> While i was out userconfig completely changed and everybody forgot that dset
> should have some support from userconfig in order to save kernel information
> back.Currently dset is of no use - it would not notice any change you do in
> userconfig. I don't know, i am still not so set up to touch it so mey be anyone
> in the busness would like to fix it?

It's all my fault 8)  I made the (obviously lame) assumption that dset
just read the condfig out of the running kernel and wrote it back into
the one on disk.

This is obviously at least partly true, as if you don't boot with -c,
userconfig() is never called.

Let's guess; dset uses the unexplained save_dev function and the isa_device
list created by userconfig 8)  I'll fix this ASAP.

>  Second question is lame, but - how da hell i am getting this userconfig
> to work.I have pcvt and when entering this nice red config screen(could we
> PLEEASE change pcvt defaults???) - only buttons which work for me are TAB
> and ENTER so the only thing i can do is expand first list of devices and that's
> it....I guess this is some incompatibility betwin pcvt and config but this
> does not helps me much...

This is a major stumbling block just now; it looks like pcvt doesn't
actually _do_ cursor keys at that point in the boot process, so I'm
considering asking Jordan to pull the plug on the new userconfig until I
manage to work that out.

(serial console operation appears to be broken as well 8( )

> --Ugen

Sorry for any inconvenience.

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[