Date:      Thu, 6 Apr 2000 06:57:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      jason wray <sonic_jtx@yahoo.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Internet Connection

Alright, I'm trying to get my internet connection
working in FreeBSD 4.0 .  I did the main installation
last night.  I have referred to the FreeBSD handbook
and tried to follow along with chapter 14.  But, I
seem to be have a few set backs.  Here goes:
Chapter 14.1.3 deals with checking tun devices.  it
says to
# cd /dev
# ./MAKEDEV tun0
if just the one tunnel is needed and then gives
examples of how to make more than one tunnel. then it
says to
# ifconfig tun0
says that you check that to confirm that the kernel is
configured correctly.  then it says it should give the
following response
tun0: flags=8050<POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu
1500
the response I get after doing
# ifconfig tun0
is
ifconfig.interface tun0 does not exist
Why is it telling me this?  My kernel is the GENERIC
kernel for now and it says that it should be
configured properly to handle tun0.
Am I doing something wrong?  Or can I go ahead and
proceed.  I'd appreciate any help.  Thank you
                               Jason( |s0n1c| )