Date:      Mon, 26 May 2003 09:39:00 +0800
From:      Robert Storey <y2kbug@ms25.hinet.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Inquiry informations from Italy

On Monday 26 May 2003 00:05, jb2070 wrote:
> Hi. How are you?
> I have a problem. I hope that you can help me.
> I have an old PC with some new Hard-Disk 40/60/80 Gigabyte, but my moth=
er
> board can see only the first 8 GB.
> What I can do to use the space in the Hard-Disk Interly???
> I hope also to install several Operative System in the same Hard-Disk. =
Yuo
> can give me some suggests??
> Sorry for my bad English and thank you for your help.
> Greetings from italy
> Sergio

You aren't giving us much information, but I would guess your problem is =
one=20
of two possibilities:

1) Old BIOS. In that case, you'll have to update the BIOS, and you might =
need=20
a computer shop to help you do that.

2) There's nothing wrong with the motherboard, BIOS, or hard disk, it's j=
ust=20
that you're using an older version of Windows/DOS with the FAT16 filesyst=
em,=20
and this cannot support more than 8 GB. In that case, all you have to do =
is=20
install FreeBSD and it will just work - FreeBSD's filesystem does not suf=
fer=20
from this 8 GB limit. However, FreeBSD can only be installed in a primary=
=20
partition, so if you've already used up the four primary partitions, you'=
ll=20
have to delete one of them.

regards,
Robert