Date:      Sun, 23 Apr 1995 21:09:57 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        Sir Ilya Tsymbal <itsymbal@husc.harvard.edu>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: install problem with 3c509. What to do?

> Default gateway is my IP with a 1 at the end, 140.247.147.1
> NS we are told to use is 128.103.21.15, and I checked and it's up.
>
> So, I am pretty much sure the settings are correct. Except maybe for
> extra flags.

No, that should be correct..

> I tried using both primary and secondary us sources; I don't believe the
> FTP program ever tried to connect to either.

No, it couldn't even look up their names.. :-(

> Right after the 'fetching bin distr....' message comes up, I get a message
> NcFTP: could not get your password entry (9): bad file descripror.

That can be ignored - there's no passwd file yet and that's a
(admittedly gratuitous) warning, not a fatal error.

> And then I get an error: <whatever site I try>: gethostbyname error
> (2):hostname lookup failure.

There's where it fails in its attempt to look up the remote hostname.

Truly, your problem is either:

1. You ethernet card isn't actually working properly. I'd drop into a shell,
   type `ifconfig ep0' to see if it's up, perhaps try and ping the gateway.
   If that works, then you know it's not the card.

2. Your gateway isn't passing your packets for some reason.  This could
   be some sort of configuration error on their end.  Try and see if you
   can ping any sites on the other side of the gateway and, of course, the
   name server itself.

3. Something is truly wrong with the name server, though this is the least
   likely scenario.

Good luck!

						Jordan